This is a guide for when the University, its agents, its tenants, and its programs should be in contact with the FMBIO. Whether inside or outside of structures, in nearly all types of construction, alteration, special event, life safety system service, and building system alteration, our office may be required to be involved and/or be a valuable resource.
Per Connecticut General Statutes, agreements, and policies, the FMBIO is the primary building, fire code, and fire prevention code enforcement authority for most construction in UConn owned buildings, as well as work in privately owned buildings on UConn owned land. This office is a building permit issuing authority and is the primary Local Fire Marshal “authority having jurisdiction” in all University owned buildings, and on University owned property.
Any construction or alteration, including change of use/occupancy to any building or structure will require a permit. Initiation of this permit process will automatically include the Fire Marshal and Life Safety Processes.
- Review of all new construction projects regardless of the need for a building permit
- Any item listed on the Fire Marshal Work or activities requiring a permit or inspection page
- Notification of any required Life Safety Systems that are out of service
- Annual or regular Inspection of University owned occupancies and other occupancies located on University owned land
- Review of Emergency Plans
- Fire/explosion and Hazardous Material Incidents Investigations
- Review/approve Fire Department access and water supplies
During planning and specification, add/delete/alteration, and testing/maintenance of sprinklers, fixed extinguishing systems, fire alarms, fire extinguishers, emergency lighting, fire hydrants, fire pumps, etc.
Fire Marshal Unit
Deputy Fire Marshal
Building Inspectors Unit
Supervising Building Official