The Detective Bureau consists of plainclothes detectives tasked with conducting a broad range of investigative assignments.
The bureau is required to assume responsibility for:
- All felonies where a complex follow-up investigation is required and necessary
- Any misdemeanors where a follow-up investigation is deemed necessary by the Detective Bureau supervisor
- Any other matter determined by the Deputy Chief or Chief of Police to be appropriate
The following category of crimes may be investigated by the UConn Police Detectives:
- Bias and hate crimes
- Burglary and larceny
- Financial crimes
- Sexual assault
- Stolen motor vehicles
The Detective Bureau cooperates with other city, state, and federal agencies in investigating incidents, utilizing task forces or other cooperative means.
Other Important Functions
- Staffing of the Property and Evidence Unit. Click here to learn more.
- Serving on Threat Assessment Teams with other departments of the University to prevent acts of violence or self-harm within our community.
- Computer and digital forensic investigations. Investigating and monitoring crimes committed online and through electronic means.
- Gathering intelligence regarding national, state, and local threats.
- Processing crime scenes and evidence.